Tuesday, July 15, 2014

MIT Gentle Introduction, Session #1 of 11: "Introduction"

I decided to count today as my official Day One.

Read Lecture Session #1. Exercise at the end proves I am not a real MIT student: I don't understand question #4. "Positive Root"? "Recall"? Oh well, ploughing on.
Use IDLE to calculate:
1. 6+4*10
2. (6+4)*10 (Compare this to #1, and note that Python uses parentheses just like you would in normal math to
determine order of operations!)
3. 23.0 to the 5th power
4. Positive root of the following equation:
34*x^2 + 68*x - 510
Recall:
a*x^2 + b*x + c
x1 = ( - b + sqrt ( b*b - 4*a*c ) ) / ( 2*a) 
Was able to finish all (well, most) materials for Session #1 in about 1.5 hours (not counting the reading, which I did last week.)

A Gentle Introduction to Programming Using Python
Instructor: Sarina Canelake
MIT Course Number: 6.189
As Taught In: January IAP 2011

Screenshot of a complete row in the game of Tetris.