Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday morning update. Today is the day I am supposed to start the MIT class, according to my summer plan.

Codecademy Python: 91% done. [Finished the last 9% on 7/30/2014]

Think Python book: have read chapters 1-8 of 19 (but not done the exercises).

Set up this blog/log/journal today. Added backdated entries to try my "learn to program" efforts, based on notes in my journal, email reports sent to friends, etc.

Getting ready to try using MIT Open Courseware, (A Gentle Introduction, course #6.189, as taught in Jan 2011):
Session 1 wants me to be install Python and get the IDLE shell running. I seem to have a Python (v.3.4.1) window, but it doesn't seem to be IDLE -- no command menu at top. Sigh... will try re-installing, and researching... digging around in Windows lib directory... OK, yay, I've got IDLE!

Wikipedia trivia:

IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python, which has been bundled with the default implementation of the language since 1.5.2b1.[1][2] It is packaged as an optional part of the Python packaging with many Linux distributions. It is completely written in Python and the Tkinter GUI toolkit (wrapper functions for Tcl/Tk). ... IDLE is intended to be a simple IDE and suitable for beginners, especially in an educational environment.