Saturday, November 15, 2014

Frustrated by slowness

Unity book: now 40% done. 

Goaded by WWWCode Newsletter link to Bloc bootcamp website, feeling frustrated by my slow pace of learning. So hard to steal quiet, concentrated time at the computer...

From the WWWCode Newsletter/ Bloc website:
  • Bloc Course Directors Share Their Favorite 10 Pre-Bootcamp Tutorials. The page is still frustratingly hard to read, full of references to things I have not only not mastered, but am not even familiar with. :P
  • Bloc's Programming Bootcamp Comparison - "Navigating the Coding Ecosystem: Compare Price, Length, and Workload of Learn-to-Code Courses." Includes a description of coding student types, by category:
    • THE HOBBYIST
      “I’m new to coding. I want to learn how to build my own app, on my own time.”
      • holding an irregular schedule
      • unsure if coding is the right fit for you
      • learning to code just as a hobby
      TRY A SELF PACED, OR LOW INTENSITY COURSE, like Codecademy. Maybe 5-10 hours/week, or less.

    • THE PROFESSIONAL
      “I work in a tech industry. I want to learn how to code like a professional.”
      • have a full time job
      • a busy life, with not too much free time (kids, family)
      • or a familiarity with coding, but no experience
      TRY A PART TIME, MID INTENSITY COURSE, like Udacity. 20 hours/week, or less.

    • THE JOB SEEKER
      “I’m making a complete career change. I want to be a professional developer.”
      • looking to make a complete career change
      • ready to make learning to code your full-time job
      • frustrated that past efforts learning to code failed
      TRY A FULL TIME, INTENSIVE COURSE. A bootcamp, like Bloc. 40-90 hours/week, over 12 weeks or so.

    • [We at Bloc]... calculated how much time it would take to reach a minimum of 500 hours of experience — a decent chunk of the 10,000 hours required to master a skill...
I guess I should be glad to see "my type" on the list at all. But I feel frustrated that it's under "hobbyist"... even though that is entirely accurate.